In its first few years NMF took on several important functions. Grants from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation provided housing for ATCIC's consumers and the New Milestones Foundation oversaw the management of these facilities. The Foundation also purchased automobiles and vans for ATCIC programs.
In 2001 NMF was reenergized and expanded its membership. A plan to promote community awareness and fundraising has been put into action. The Annual Champions Event, which has featured testimonials from celebrity speakers including Carrie Fisher, Christopher Kennedy Lawford and Mariel Hemingway, has been held each year since 2002. In January of 2011 NMF completed an 18-month capital campaign, successfully raising $500,000 as part of a local match to refurbish two crisis respite facilities in Central Austin.
Funds from NMF have also been used to support:
- Community Voice Mail
- The Central Texas African American Family Support Conference;
- The 2007 "We Don't Talk About Chris" Film Festival produced in conjunction with the Peace Council;
- Cleaning supplies and household items for ATCIC consumers;
- Resources for ATCIC's Psychiatric Emergency Services Department;
- The Texas Suicide Prevention Network;
- The Community Resource Guide for Children's Needs; and
- Many other valuable projects